Saturday, March 30, 2013

Arizona...part 2

Wanted:  a small cabin in Northern Arizona.  Must come with electricity, Internet and indoor plumbing and must be pet friendly.  A home base for an artist(wanna-be)/explorer, so that she may spend her days roaming, photographing and painting the scenery.
Sigh.

I really only saw a small section...from Flagstaff west to Williams, then north to the Grand Canyon, then the scenic route back to Flagstaff.  And there was so much more to see!  There are Indian Reservations and meteor craters and a petrified forest.  (And then in Winslow, AZ, there is a mural of a girl, my lord, in a flatbed Ford....)

What I saw, I loved.  I loved every inch of it.  I need a thesaurus to describe the area, because the only words I am coming up with are spectacular, beautiful, amazing, breathtaking...you get the idea.  And those words don't do it justice. 
Well, first of all, there is the Grand Canyon.  I think all the people who were in Sedona followed me up there, but as you might imagine, it is Grand enough for everyone.
 
Pretty darn amazing. 
Even the drives coming and going were beautiful.  Dark mountains, golden grassy fields, BIG skies with swirling clouds.  A train running parallel to the interstate at an elevation of 8000 feet!  A bright blue sign in the middle of nowhere that read " Free to Be Me!".   













I visited Wupakti and Sunset Crater National Monuments.  Driving down the road between them, looking to one side I saw the San Francisco Peaks (which, by the way, are a volcanic mountain range) covered in snow; the other side of the road had the painted desert off in the distance.  There were beautiful trees and golden grasses and views, views and more views.
In Sunset Crater, I hiked up the Lenox Crater Trail (oh yes I did), which was almost vertical, I might add...I was huffing and puffing, but I passed some teenagers!  And the view was totally worth it. 



 
The landscape here was magnificent.  I was completely overwhelmed by the beauty and the diversity, and I know I only saw a small portion of it.  I would seriously love to find that cabin and become the Artist/Explorer in Residence.  Who'd a-thunk it?


 
 
 

No comments: