Saturday, April 6, 2013

Santa Fe

I have been in New Mexico, Santa Fe mostly, for more than a week now.  I keep meaning to leave.  I keep making plans to leave.  But I'm still here.  And New Mexico, Santa Fe mostly, has been so unexpectedly wonderful that I am having a very hard time condensing it into a single, coherent blog post.  So for this entry, I am going to highlight just one part...one really great part...the little inn where I became the guest who wouldn't leave.

I was so fortunate to land at the Inn on the Paseo.  It is a lovely and comfortable place, with cozy beds, Belgian waffles for breakfast, and cookies in the afternoon.  It is relaxing and friendly, conducive to meeting people and forming new friendships.  I shared the breakfast table with people from all over and all stages of life:  the (very) young newlyweds from Utah, a woman from Switzerland whose heart was in the Opera House, a couple who were celebrating 50 years together, an art lover from Tucson who comes to Santa Fe to shop every year, a Pennsylvania Mom whose daughter is an artist in Taos.  Innkeeper Jess was warm and welcoming to all, and I was blessed to meet a very fun and colorful assortment of his friends (I mean that in the VERY best way possible!).  I was invited on an Easter morning "brunch crawl", given great sight-seeing and shopping advice and offered the best drinking and dining options.  I was even invited to a "Save the Chickens" rally (really) in Eldorado, where the coyotes howl as the sun goes down.

I was scheduled to leave after 3 nights, and because of the people I met at and through the Inn, I decided (begged) to stay on another.  I couldn't imagine anywhere else I wanted to be!  I ventured back into town, inspired by the stories I had heard at the Inn.  A series of more fabulous people and events fell into my path, offering me fun and intriguing possibilities to the north.  I left the inn for 2 nights to pursue those adventures, thinking I would keep going...somewhere... afterward, but Santa Fe called me back.  I came back to the inn for 1 more night...which became 2 more nights...

As a result of my comings and goings, I got to stay in 4 different rooms at the inn, each wonderful in its own way.  Only 14 more to experience on my return trips!  I know there are other nice hotels and inns in town, but Inn on the Paseo is as unique and special as Santa Fe is.

I did leave Santa Fe today...reluctantly...very reluctantly.  As anyone who lives there will tell you, Santa Fe is a magical place.  Something about it called together the group of very special people I met there, and it welcomed me as one of the Tribe.
The Inn and its Keeper



Room 2





Room 3, my fave
 
Don't forget the chickens!

No comments: