Friday, March 29, 2013

Arizona...part 1

I flew out to Arizona, heading for Sedona.  I had been there a while back with my sister and loved it, but I had been in a whole "other place" in my life then and wanted to re-experience it now.
I will admit, my first day in the state was less than stellar...
I spent more time waiting in line at the rental car counter (there is no advantage to renting with Advantage!) than I did on my flight from San Diego!  Finally on the road.  After getting out of the Phoenix traffic, the Arizona scenery starts to work its magic.  It is beautiful...green and brown...hilly and craggy, cactus and bushes.  Then up the road a bit, the red rocks of Sedona first come into view!  They are breath-taking....THIS is what I came for.

Suddenly, my awe and wonder come to a screeching halt....along with the Sedona traffic!  Oh good lord, where did all these cars come from! And these people!  Someone said "spring break" to me...spring break??  I thought all the spring break-ers went to Florida!  HellOOO...Fort Lauderdale?  Disney?  Why are you in Arizona??  OY!
Dinner was less than stellar (the kitchen and wait staff were mad at each other and took it out on lucky diners such as myself), but at least it came with a view, and a lovely one at that:
 


OK, I'm better now....
And my hotel, marginal as it was, also offered its own perspective at breakfast:


The remainder of my time was better, mostly because I decided it WOULD be.  Some casual shopping and vortex visiting...all done early before the masses had awakened...some hiking, lunch dining alfresco... 
My stay in Sedona was not what I had hoped...the views, of course, were spectacular, and most of the people were great - I met a woman in an art gallery who pretty much did the same thing I am doing now and is happier than ever living in Sedona...I met 2 others in particular who loved my story and offered me inspiring stories of their own.
The town was very touristy this time, BUT...it was good to revisit and remember...
No matter what, being surrounded by those red rocks ain't half bad.  And next time, I'll visit OFF season (whenever that is) WITH my fabulous Seester once again!
AND...it was a great jumping off place for more northern points, as yet unexplored by this intrepid adventurer...

No comments: