Monday, May 6, 2013

The Greatest of Danes

Have you ever taken a road trip with a Great Dane?  A really LONG road trip?
If you ever met my sweet dog Charleston you know he is a bit neurotic.  He gets kind of freaked out when something in his little world changes.  He likes his yard and his crate and his fairly regular meal times....
Then Mom goes off on a wild hair and travels for 2 months...leaving him in the very loving and capable hands of the fabulous folks at Stuart Sound Animal Hospital.  He had a luxury suite with a view, complete with his own tempur-pedic bed, gourmet food, regular baths, treats and check ups.  But after a while, he'd had enough and went on a hunger strike, demanding the return of his errant Mother.  And it worked!  She came back!  Mom!!  Where have you been?!!  I missed you so much!!  OK, I forgive you...take me back to my yard now. 
Whaddya mean we aren't going back?
Where the heck are you taking me??
After about 48 hours of total freak-out, Charleston transformed into Super Trooper.  He hit the road with me and made himself at home in 5 new and different stop-overs on our way to our new home, the teeny tiny casita in Santa Fe.  He has rallied through laundry rooms, backyard snakes (actually, I'm the one who freaked out about that), grandfather clocks that chime every 15 minutes, stairs, enthusiastic Aussie puppy herding practice, bloody paws and still more stairs.  He has spent countless hours in the back seat of my car, endured paparazzi at every rest area, and is now snoozing in his very first hotel room (ok, it's not the Ritz, but he doesn't know that). 
Charleston has been an awesome if reluctant traveler through 7 states so far.  As long as he is close to his peeps and can rest his head on a shoulder from time to time, he travels much better than I ever expected.  We have one more long day ahead of us and then we can get off the road and start making our home in New Mexico.  Charleston may not realize it yet, but he is as ready for it as I am.
A Reluctant Start
Cousins - a rare quiet moment

Are we there yet?

1 comment:

Aritê gunê Akasa said...

Aw, did Charleston get herded?